About this Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Contemplative Photography

On Saturday I attended a photography workshop with Craig Potton - a wonderful Kiwi icon of photography. It was inspiring to meet him and hear his passion for the environment, and of course to see many of his wonderful photographs. Much of the "tech talk" was beyond me but that was fine as I don't need or intend to become a professional photographer.  I came away encouraged to continue my forays into what Howard Zehr calls Contemplative Photography. His Little Book of Contemplative Photography is subtitled: 'Seeing with wonder, respect and humility'.

So here are four of my favourite photos and why they speak to me:


The end of Long Bay in summer. 
The simple beauty of colour, stones, and "things right outside my door" reminds me that 
beauty comes without cost.


Sunrise on Long Bay. 
Delight in relationships! Man and dog; sun, water, sand, cloud; me as observer; God the creator of it all.


Cornwall Park.
Light and shadow enhance each other. The green path leads through both.


Mt Taranaki on a clear day.
The mysterious beauty of mountains too high for me to climb; of majesty beyond my reach.