About this Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

Nelson Mandela

The paragraph below is a quote from the Spiritual Directors' International newsletter to members. The writer had recently been in South Africa at an African spiritual directors' conference.


"On July 18, Nelson Mandela celebrates his ninety-fourth birthday. All over South Africa, I saw how people are preparing to pay him homage. On the chalkboard of the local restaurant, “Happy Birthday, Madiba! is carefully scripted in bold rainbow colors. People gathered in the streets to be filmed singing happy birthday to be given as a gift on his special day. The Johannesburg Star newspaper asks, “What are you doing for Madiba’s birthday?”"


Nelson Mandela is another "living saint" in my view. He managed to maintain a courteous and compassionate manner even when imprisoned so unjustly for 27 years. That in itself is inspiring. I'm not sure I could remain courteous for 27 days when unjustly accused! Inspiring also is the fact that he never gave up his hope and belief that apartheid could be changed. He lived - and lives - to see this hope eventuate. To me this is a powerful reminder not to give in to despair when daily viewing the atrocities that still happen in many parts of the world (sadly this includes South Africa). 


I hope Mandela's birthday gets a mention in NZ on the 18th of this month. I am celebrating it in advance by renewing my commitment to "faith, hope and love" (1 Cor 13:13) in every situation however unlikely a positive outcome may seem.