About this Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Book clubs are great!

I really enjoy the book club I belong to for lots of reasons. One of them is that I get to read books I would never have heard about otherwise. I have just finished reading The Rugmaker of Mazar-E-Sharif by Najaf Mazari & Robert Hillman.

Although I have read several other books set in Afghanistan this one gave me the best understanding  of that country's complicated history and constant conflicts. I saw it all through the real life eyes of Najif whose memoir it is. From the small boy minding the sheep to the adolescent beginning his apprenticeship as a rug maker and finally through so much anguish, loss of family members, and personal torture to his escape as a "boat person".

The absolute terror and desperation of those who choose to leave home and family for the sake of their lives is a perspective we need to remember when hearing the news of countries (including our own) saying clearly that such asylum seekers are "not welcome".

Through all the uncertainty and danger of the journey Najif did make it to Woomera - the detention centre north of Adelaide. I wonder how those who have already endured so much manage to cope with the prison like environment and dreadful uncertainty of whether they will be accepted or rejected and sent 'home'. Through Najif's experiences so beautifully recounted I could feel the turmoil of day to day life, language difficulties, trying hard to fit in in order to be accepted, agonising about family left behind and all the time the ultimate question of: "Will this new land take me in?"

The way the book is written we know from the first page that Najif does become an Australian citizen. I am very glad I knew this! It made travelling with him through all the stages of this arduous journey more hopeful. Najif is a Muslim and the way he prays and understands God's presence with him is a wonderful reminder that the day to day faith of most Muslims is a gentle and life giving reality. In the current atmosphere of some extremists denigrating the Muslim faith I know I have more in common with Najif than with the so called Christians who are behind the anti-Muslim propaganda.

The final section in the book describes the enormous challenges of settling in a completely new country with no family or friends on hand. Reading this made me aware of how much it matters to a new immigrant to have simple friendship, a smile, a conversation. And even better if someone offers practical help to get established.

Najif is an amazingly positive person. He is grateful for so much even though he has suffered more than most of us could even imagine. In a postscript to the book he says:
One way in which I try to solve the problem of my good fortune is to share it in every way I can with those in Mazar-e-Sharif who need some comfort in their lives. I have joined with friends to start a fund that will build schools and buy ambulances for the people of Mazar-e-Sharif. I am not the United Nations, but surely I can help in a small way. Helping in small ways is good. I really appreciate my Australian friends who have helped me set up the Mazar Development Fund which you can find at www.mazardevelopmentfund.org.au