About this Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Give joy to one person...

Reading this morning's newsletter from the Charter for Compassion (begun after Karen Armstrong's TED talk on Compassion) I saw this quote from their Facebook page which is worth passing on - and acting on!

Last month's most popular quote on the Charter Facebook page?

“Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. But I try to work one day at a time. If we just worry about the big picture, we are powerless. So my secret is to start right away doing whatever little work I can do. I try to give joy to one person in the morning, and remove the suffering of one person in the afternoon. That’s enough. When you see you can do that, you continue, and you give two little joys, and you remove two little sufferings, then three, and then four. If you and your friends do not despise the small work, a million people will remove a lot of suffering. That is the secret. Start right now.”
~Sister Chân Không (born 1938), Vietnamese pioneer of socially engaged Buddhism