About this Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Quiet! I'm on-line..."

I'm halfway through a fascinating book by Susan Cain: Quiet. The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking. I was number 47 on 147 requests for it at the local library! That says something about the number of people who relate to the title.

I have known for a long time that I am high on the introvert side of the Myers Briggs scale. I have trained in MBTI and read a lot about personality type. I find it helpful personally and in my work with people. However, Susan Cain's book goes much deeper than anything I've read before in researching the roots and fruits of introversion.  I highly recommend it!

Synchronistically I am currently experiencing one of the things she talks about. I am immersed in an online retreat with Cynthia Bourgeault on The Gospel of Thomas. (I may say more about that in a subsequent post).
What I'm finding - somewhat to my surprise - is that I am very much enjoying the online forum where participants share their reflections on the sayings of Jesus we meditate on each day. I thought I wouldn't participate in that side of the retreat much. In true introvert style I expected to prefer to "do my own thing" quietly and anonymously at my own desk and at my own pace! But, as Susan Cain alludes to, online communication is perfect for introverts. I'm discovering that I can take my own quiet reflection time before I post my thoughts - much better than being in a group where we are going round the circle "sharing" on the spot. It is also possible to remain as anonymous as one wishes. Some participants post their photos in their profile - others (like me) choose a logo or picture, not their own face! In reading the responses of others I'm aware that we are "hearing" many more people and at much greater depth than is usually possible in group - especially one this big. (I don't know how many people are participating but it is a lot more than you would normally get at a face to face workshop. And of course it is an international group.)

So many thanks to those who run the website Spirituality and Practice. A variety of retreats are available here and at a very low cost. That's another advantage of online retreats!