About this Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Silence: The Mystery of Wholeness

I'm reading this excellent book - recommended by Cynthia Bourgeault and Richard Rohr who are two trusted guides!

It is probably a book for those who are already familiar with a journey into deep silence. It is written in a beautifully poetic style of prose and comes at the topic from a place of deep experience on the part of the author. Robert Sardello PhD is co-founder with Cheryl Sanders-Sardello of the School of Spiritual Psychology which began in 1992. Chapter headings include: Entering the Silence, Relating within Silence, The Healing Power of Silence, Silence in Daily Living... Cheryl Sanders-Sardello writes one page "reflections" between the chapters. One that I found very moving is this one prior to the chapter The Healing Power of Silence:

"Entering your room I know that I am not alone with you. A holy silence attends you, too, close to your head just there by the window. It seems to have a proprietary attitude, as if you belong more to the silence than to me. Your eyes quiver open for a moment then close again, but there is a hint of a smile on your pain-wracked face, and your hand moves a centimeter towards me. Sitting, holding your hand, watching you struggle between planes of existence in this room full of silence, I know you are getting to know this other presence. As a baby turns in the womb, preparing for the long journey into sound, your heart is turning in your soul, preparing for the long journey into silence. And all I can do is hold your hand and smile when your eyes flicker open for a moment and try to fill the silence with all my love, so you will know it is there, too, on your arrival into silence."