About this Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Launched into Advent



Exciting…inspiring…mind blowing… what a marvelous weekend!
I joined a couple of hundred others for a weekend with Dr Ilia Delio who unpacked the topic of Science and Theology in a masterful and engaging way. I am in awe of her ability to communicate such a wide reaching topic with both depth and a light touch. One of the key truths expressed in both science and theology is that we really are all connected. Technology makes this connection "visible" and possible in new ways. (Like this Blog for example!)


I am also participating in an Advent retreat on-line (technological connection again!) with Cynthia Bourgeault. Today's reflection from the Gospel of Thomas is Jesus saying:
"I stood to my feet
 in the midst of the cosmos
appearing outwardly in flesh."
What a powerful way to think of the incarnation: Jesus "standing to his feet" as if suddenly waking up to being here, with us, in a body…
What a shock, what a challenge.
In the same passage Jesus goes on to say:
"My soul ached 
for the children of humanity.
For their hearts are blind
and they cannot see from within."
Jesus - catapulted into a body in the midst of us, with an aching soul for what he encountered.

My prayer at the beginning of this Advent season:

God give me courage
to stand to my feet
in this inter-connected cosmos.
Appear through my flesh
to those for whom my heart aches.
Let the eyes of the blind be opened
to that "seeing from within"
the true wonder of Love
may be revealed.