About this Blog

Friday, December 26, 2014

The Queen's Christmas Speech

This Christmas, more than any previous year, I've noticed how very little is said or shown anywhere about the birth of Jesus! No doubt the various Church services don't overlook it (!) - but in any public place or news broadcast it's hard to find any clue about the "reason for the season". Even in an otherwise very interesting documentary about Christmas traditions through the last couple of centuries in an historic house in England - there was not one mention of anything religious. I found that hard to comprehend as I'm sure in earlier years the families in such houses would have been very aware of the Christian roots of the season. They would probably all have gone to the village Church on Christmas Day!
So - watching the Queen's speech on Christmas Day it was especially heartening to hear her focus on reconciliation and then her personal statement:
"For me, the life of Jesus Christ, the prince of peace, whose birth we celebrate today, is an inspiration and an anchor in my life. 
A role model of reconciliation and forgiveness, he stretched out his hands in love, acceptance and healing. Christ’s example has taught me to seek to respect and value all people, of whatever faith or none."
If you missed hearing the whole speech I highly recommend you watch it on YouTube here.