About this Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Day

I've never been into New Year's resolutions but I like to spend some time reviewing the past year and "setting my course" for the year ahead. Of course the past year has been largely marked by moving house! On New Year's Day 2014 I would never have guessed (or planned) to be in a new home and a different location by the year's end. Which illustrates the point made by David Whyte in one of his poems:

     "What we can plan is too small for us to live."


A quote from another favorite writer, John O'Donahue, is something I identify with as this year begins:

"I would like to live as a river flows - surprised by its own unfolding."

So I guess "setting my course" for the year ahead really means being willing to step into the flow of God's grace and trust where that river takes me.