About this Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Leave a little fallow corner in your heart...


Let mystery have its place in you; do not be always turning up your whole soil with the plowshare of self-examination, but leave a little fallow corner in your heart ready for any seed the winds may bring, and reserve a nook of shadow for the passing bird; keep a place in your heart for the unexpected guests, an altar for an unknown God.

-- from Amiel's Journal, translated by 
Mrs. Humphrey Ward


I read this beautiful quote in a weekly post from Abbey of the Arts. 
I Googled Amiel's Journal but didn't follow up more of what he wrote. 

And speaking of passing birds... on my Wenderholm walk recently I took dozens of photos of Fantails (which I love!) - in the hope of getting moderately good one. But these "passing birds" seemed to playing "Catch me if you can"! The best I could manage was this one - already cropped (photo not bird!!) within an inch of its life!