About this Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Being content, being satisfied

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation whether it is with full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13



You’d think it would be easy to be content when we have everything we need – and more. But as yesterday’s Living Lent reflection said: “The heart of over consumption is not being satisfied with what we have.” I was shocked at my own reaction a few months ago when a friend bought a “new” (second hand) car. I immediately thought “Oh what a good idea I could upgrade mine to a newer model too.” It took me a moment to see how I was caught by the insidious desire for the “newer, brighter, upgraded version”. With calmer reflection I “re-set my compass” and recognized that my current car is perfectly fine and there is no legitimate reason for change. (One day there might be, of course, and then the upgrade will be entirely appropriate.)

Being satisfied with what we have is easier said than done in the consumer culture that bombards us with messages like: “you deserve better”, “have it now and pay nothing till next year”, “sorry there are no parts for that model”, “it would be cheaper to buy a new one than have this one repaired”…


Some of this advertising lure I can easily recognize and dismiss but the reality of technological devices becoming obsolete is harder to negotiate. I use a computer and a smart phone every day for my work and for being available to connect with people. I really abhor the way companies deliberately (it seems to me) make products become obsolete after a few years so that there is not much choice about upgrading. But the word “choice” is interesting. Actually I do have choice. If I really need (or want) to upgrade I can. This requires true discernment so that whatever I choose I can be at peace with the choice. Being content (at peace) with whatever I have is challenging whether “whatever I have” is much or little.