About this Blog

Monday, February 15, 2016

Consumed by Consumption

Consumption is the theme for today's Living Lent.
One of the challenges is to have two days a week without buying anything. This is not at all hard for me (apart from resisting buying a cup of coffee!) But it has made me think about consumption in a wider perspective. Of course there is much more to consumption/consumerism than shopping.

consumption (noun)
1. the act of consuming as by use, decay or destruction
2. Pathology.
       Older Use. tuberculosis of the lungs.
       progressive wasting of the body.
          Synonyms: depletion, exploitation, utilization 

'Consumption' once meant
a death sentence
if you suffered from it.

Maybe it is no different now.
If I consume
more than my share
you die.

But wait
that is different!
I’m the one
“suffering from consumption”
you are the one who dies.

If I am healed
from my consumption
I trust and pray
that will lead
to you living more fully.