About this Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Living Lent



Today is Ash Wednesday - the beginning of the season of Lent. For many years Lent didn't mean a great deal to me. Then it vaguely meant "giving something up for Lent" as a kind of token gesture of solidarity with the journey of Jesus to the Cross. In recent years it has become more meaningful, perhaps because of some thoughtful resources available. This year I have committed to two of those prompts for my reflection and action over the next six weeks. One is a weekly Lectio Divina on a passage of Scripture. The other is a TEAR FUND link called Living Lent which offers workable suggestions for solidarity with people in our world right now who are "bearing their cross" in so many ways. I plan to Post my Lent reflections and maybe you will join in the process yourself in some way that works for you.

Here is this week's scripture and my reflection on it:

Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart,
with fasting, and weeping, and mourning;
Rend your hearts, not your garments,
and return to the LORD, your God. —Joel 2:12-13

"Rend your hearts and not your garments" I feel as though my heart is torn every day as I hear more of the trauma and tragedy of the growing tide of refugees. Such a helpless feeling. I recall hearing or reading "Let what breaks God's heart break your heart". In some small strange way I pray that my wrenching sadness for others may mysteriously raise the tide of love in this world.


I’m also pondering “return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, weeping and mourning.” That suggests that “wholehearted” commitment to God means facing fully into the things that make me weep and mourn – whether in myself or in the world around me. The “fasting” bit is always tricky for me. I’ve never been any good at that “spiritual discipline”. But right now it occurs to me that if I am deeply grieving I don’t feel like eating or even going out for coffee! So maybe there is a connection between the depth of my grief and my ability to fast. Challenging thought.