About this Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Reducing and releasing

Interesting how things come together - today's Lent challenge is to take three things you no longer need to an Op Shop. (I'm not sure that it's a good thing to admit  that I have many more than three things easily at hand!)The strange thing is that this week I was loaned a book that I've seen advertised a lot recently: The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.
At first I was rather sceptical of this book. I'm not a hoarder and having moved house only 14 months ago I felt pretty good about all the sorting and Op Shop trips I'd done then. A second reason for my scepticism was that I had read some reviews of this book and its sequel  Spark Joy which made me laugh. But I repent of my laughter! The first book at least has some excellent ideas which go much deeper than simply an obsessive approach to tidying and throwing out. Kondo is essentially talking about a lifestyle of valuing what we have and passing on to others what we no longer need or want. Some of  her methods might feel a bit over the top but I'm reading the book with appreciation for a basic philosophy I can agree with and gratitude for some very helpful ideas.

So back to Lent... tomorrow I will be taking three bags of items to the Hospice Shop! I'm glad that what has been useful and given me joy will now be available to others at an affordable price - and that Hospice will benefit as well. How good is that!