About this Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Twice the size of France..! Really?

Yes, apparently there is a mass of plastic waste twice the size of France swirling around in our ocean. And I do mean our ocean. This is "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch". Click here for more information. Sadly there are several other plastic garbage patches around the world.


I felt both sad and angry when I read the information at the link above. But I use plastic! Sure I re-cycle plastic shopping bags so I use them many times, but in the end they go out in the rubbish as we use them for bin-liners. A lot of plastics these days are re-cycleable and that's great. But the scale of this existing and on-going problem is so enormous that it is easy just to give up. However, the excellent news on this site is that someone is doing something really significant about it. I am more than happy to contribute to this effort. Maybe you can too. But even if you can't, being informed may help us all find small ways we can avoid contributing to the problem.