About this Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Inspiring children

Two children have inspired me over the last week. I haven't met either of them!
Thomas is one of the many children with disabilities supported by CBM mission. He has club feet and has never been able to walk upright. But soon, after corrective surgery and six weeks in plaster, he will experience that freedom for the first time.

The joy and anticipation on the faces of Thomas and his mother is inspiring in itself - as is the marvellous work of CBM. But it is particularly inspiring to me this week as I have been "disabled" by a back injury that makes it hard to sit, stand or walk for more than short periods of time. Thomas (and thousands of other disabled people) help me to shift my focus from dismay and frustration to gratitude that I can sit, stand and walk - even if only for short periods of time.

Then there's Clara... a ten year old girl from Muriwai, here in Auckland, who has produced a Cookbook for Vegetarian meals because she is passionate about the care of animals. Here she is with her mother in China where she was recently awarded the prize for Best Children's cookbook.
I bought a copy of her book this week and it is stunning! Such easy, healthy recipes and every page with photos and art work by Clara herself. Check out the website here for more of her story. She has been interviewed on Radio NZ and TV3 - expressing her passion for animals and her desire for more of us to become vegetarian. She inspires me never to think that one person can't have a powerful influence for good. (Buy the book! You can do so on the website or at bookshops listed there, or by emailing info@clarascookbook.co.nz)