About this Blog

Friday, July 1, 2016

Widening circles and rooted trees

I'm re-reading an old favourite in my morning meditation time: Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God. (Translated by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy) Two recent poems connected so well with my current review of my journals. The first one echoes the reason I chose Concentric Circles as the name of this Blog:
I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

I circle around God, around the primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and I still don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

The next one expresses poetically the experience of reading back through all those years:
I love the dark hours of my being.
My mind deepens into them.
There I can find, as in old letters,
the days of my life already lived,
and held like a legend, and understood.

Then the knowing comes: I can open
to another life that's wide and timeless.

So I am sometimes like a tree
rustling over a gravesite
and making real the dream
of the one its living roots
embrace:

a dream once lost
among sorrows and songs.