About this Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This is where I am


This is a truly remarkable book. I've never read anything that gives such clear and poignant insights into the adjustments required of refugees and those who mentor them. Of course every person's story will be unique and thus different but I was immediately drawn into the realities of Abdi, his daughter Rebecca and their mentor Deborah. The story is set in Glasgow and gives an idea of the setting and of the intricacies of English laced with Glaswegian colloquialisms! How far all that is from Somalia and the refugee camp Abdi has lived in for the whole of Rebecca's life. Abdi is not the only one dealing with past grief and painful memories... The title of the book is multi-layered and emerges several times. It is a powerful reminder to me too, to remember in every situation, whether 'good' or 'bad' that this is where I am.