About this Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Challenging invitation

This morning on the Gratefulness site this quote was the "word for today":

If your everyday practice is to open to all your emotions, 
to all the people you meet, to all the situations you encounter, 
without closing down, trusting that you can do that — 
then that will take you as far as you can go. 
And then you’ll understand all the teachings that anyone has ever taught. 
– Pema Chodron 

This says more briefly the same thing as the following Welcoming Prayer which was our call to worship in Church yesterday. The Welcoming Practice is a deeply powerful (and challenging) way to pray which has been made more well known by Cynthia Bourgeault at the end of her book Centering Prayer. I find it helpful the way it is worded here as an actual prayer.
  
The Welcoming Prayer
What we are “welcoming” is the Indwelling Spirit’s Presence amongst the ALL of life.
 Gently become aware of your body and your interior state.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
I welcome everything that comes to me in this moment
because I know it is for my healing.
I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions,
persons, situations and conditions.

I let go of my desire for security.
I let go of my desire for approval.
I let go of my desire for control.

I let go of my desire to change any
situation, condition,
person, or myself.

I open to
the love and presence of God
and the healing action and grace within.

––– Mary Mrozowski 1925-1993 The creator and spiritual mother of the welcoming prayer practice