About this Blog

Monday, March 20, 2017

Caught by God

A quote from Walter Brueggemann's: A Way Other Than Our Own: readings for Lent:


Caught by God

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow 
me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord 
my whole life long." Psalm 23:6

"'Goodness and mercy pursue me'. God's friendliness and kindness will run after me and chase me down, grab me and hold me. The verb 'follow' is an active verb. We are being chased by God's powerful love. We run from it. We try to escape. We fear that goodness, because then we are no longer in control. We do not trust such generosity, and we think our own best efforts are better than God's mercy."

I enjoyed the surprise of the words "friendliness and kindness". How lovely to imagine a friendly, kind God running after me! I'm very happy to be caught. I suspect walking slowly and enjoying the sunrise (as I did yesterday) is a way to be 'caught' by a friendly Creator who shares my delight as good friends do.