About this Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2017

The quiet words of the wise

I seem to be waking up early these days. Maybe what they say about older people needing less sleep is true! This morning at 5.30 I decided to listen to the Lectionary readings for the day using the excellent Bible app I have on my phone. I was struck by the contemporary relevance of the following:
Psalm 72 where Solomon is praying for the King: "May he defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; may he crush the oppressor. ... For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight."

Then Ecclesiates 9 "I also saw under the sun this example of wisdom that greatly impressed me: There was once a small city with only a few people in it. And a powerful king came against it, surrounded it and built huge siege works against it. Now there lived in that city a man poor but wise, and he saved that city. But nobody remembered that poor man. So I said 'Wisdom is better than strength'. ...The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools."

I am in good company when I pray 
for justice and compassion in those who "rule" our nations.
I am encouraged to remember 
that the quiet words of the wise do have an impact.