About this Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

Legs - long, short - or none!

Sitting on a seat above the beach on my morning walk I watched a couple walking with two dogs… I didn't have my camera but one was like this:

And one was like this:


As they walked the man threw long fast balls for the long-legged dog to chase while the woman kept looking behind, encouraging the Dachshund and waiting for him if he was too far behind.

It was a lovely picture of taking care of others whatever pace they can go. It's true (and can be challenging) for all relationships. I was especially thinking of spiritual direction where the "Anam Cara" (Soul Friend) role is to stretch and extend those who are ready to move forward in great strides, and to walk slowly and encouragingly with those whose pace is slower.

And then as a PS - Last night (27th Oct) the TVNZ Sunday programme featured a story of incredible courage, love and optimism for a family where the husband and father had to have all four limbs amputated. So even if your "legs" seem short and your pace slow, be grateful that you have legs of any kind! (If you missed the program me it will be available on TV on Demand but wasn't yet posted when I wrote this.)