About this Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Wisdom from a 10th grader

Continuing the Earth Day theme I came upon this article via Spirituality and Practice. To read the full article click here. (Photos mine)
When Nimai wrote this article, he was in the 10th grade. Nimai lives in Maryland and has been practicing Vaishnavism, a monotheistic tradition within Hinduism, since his childhood.
…my faith envisions Earth as a person, a mother. This mentality has formed the basis of my view towards the earth. One doesn’t treat a person as an exploitable source of resources, just as one doesn’t wish death upon one’s mother...

My religion’s view of Earth as a person has changed my own perception of the planet. I believe that the environmental issues jeopardizing our planet today indicate a spiritual lacking, a hole we’re trying to fill with more and more consumption. By lessening our needs, we can start battling environmental issues.
As Gandhi once said, “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need but not every man’s greed.”